Tough Travels is a monthly meme hosted by The Fantasy Hive, which, inspired by The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones, spotlights each month a different fantasy trope for us to compile lists and have fun with. Last month we discussed APPRENTICES. This month’s topic is:
Sadly, much of the fantasy I love has dead or absentee mothers, but with a good think I thought of these ladies, which represent some of the best and worst mothers of fantasyland:
- Molly Weasley – First, from J K Rowling’s magical Harry Potter series, we have one of the best mothers of fantasyland: Molly Weasley, the small but big-hearted matriarch of a large family. What they may lack in money, she makes up for with love and good food… oh and knitted goods! Even with seven of her own children she takes the orphaned Harry under her wing.
- Cersei Lannister – In stark-contrast to Molly, I have chosen Cersei Lannister, the beautiful but cold Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, from George R R Martin’s epic Song of Ice and Fire. While she does fiercely love her three children (who are all products of adulterous incest I may add) her scheming, blind ambition and ruthless actions sees them growing up weak and twisted.
- Catelyn Stark – To balance things out for George R R Martin’s epic Song of Ice and Fire series, we have Catelyn Stark, who is a loving and dutiful mother to her five children. While I don’t always like her, I have to admit she is one fierce ‘momma bear’ – quite literally fighting off a dagger with her bare hands to protect her young son Bran.
- Mrs Coulter – Next from Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy we have the very beautiful Marisa Coulter, a well-educated, manipulative and ruthless woman, who in her pursuit of power has left behind the love of her life and her own daughter. While she does try to make amends it is all too little, too late really.
- Natalie Prior – Finally I think we need another good mum, so here we have Natalie Prior from Veronica Roth’s young adult Divergent series. She is the patient, loving mother of Tris and Caleb Prior, who it turns out can also kick-ass and bravely sacrifices all for her children.
Do you like my choices? Which mothers would you have chosen? Please link in the comments below if you have taken part in this month’s topic too.
Tough Travelling is going on a hiatus for a while, so I’m sorry there will be no post next month to look forward too.