Hello my fellow bookworms. Today, I am taking part in this week’s Top Ten Tuesday! A weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, who each week assigns a new topic to inspires us to create a top ten list based on it. This week’s topic is:
Characters I’d Name a Pet After
(These could be your own pets (present or future), you could pick 10 different animals and tell us the name and animal type, or you could choose 10 names that would make fun cat names, etc. Put your own spin on this one!) (submitted by Nushu @ Not A Prima Donna Girl)
Well as the proud owner of a beautiful black cat called Bonnie, there was only one way this was going to go really, wasn’t there?! Bonnie came with this name from the animal rescue we got her from, but if we had a choice of name here are some literary options:
1. Mundungus – From J.K. Rowling’s magical Harry Potter series: Mundungus Fletcher is a harmless but notoriously disreputable wizard, so the perfect name for a pesky feline, with a penchant for sneaking around and stealing socks! (This is the amusing, unofficial nickname for our Bonnie).
2. Aslan – From C.S. Lewis’s wonderful The Chronicles of Narnia series: Aslan is of course the real ruler of Narnia, a powerful, good but not tame lion, so a great name for any regal pussycats, who like things on their own terms.
3. Oy – From Stephen King’s dark fantasy The Dark Tower series: Oy is the adorable animal side-kick to Roland’s Ka-Tet, but particularly loyal to the young Jake, so would make a cute name for any fiercely loyal and clever felines out there.
4. Moriarty – From Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s sleuthing Sherlock Holmes stories: James Moriarty is of course Sherlock’s arch nemesis and a criminal mastermind. Well I’m sure we all know a few cats, who we suspect are diabolical geniuses, secretly plotting the downfall of the ‘hoomans’. 😅
5. Merlin – From Arthurian legend: Merlin is the powerful wizard that helps Arthur take the throne and fight many battles. This is certainly not an original name from me, as my dad met a majestic black cat named this and I thought it was such a great name choice that I should still share it.
6. Magrat – From Terry Pratchett’s fantastical Discworld series: Magrat Garlick is the third and youngest of Pratchett’s wickedly good fun coven of witches, she is kind, loves nature and is rather ditsy, so a cute and funny name for a furry friend.
7. Mr Tumnus – From C.S. Lewis’s wonderful The Chronicles of Narnia series: Tumnus is a faun that little Lucy befriends on her first trip to Narnia, a friendly but fearful fellow, so maybe perfect name for the epitome of a ‘scaredy-cat’. Plus just makes me smile thinking of calling the name Mr Tumnus. 😆
8. Luna – From J.K. Rowling’s magical Harry Potter series: Luna “Loony” Lovegood is the kind, quirky loner of the year group, that Harry and his friends befriend a couple of books into the series. I think a beautiful name for our weird, nocturnal-loving furry friends.
I couldn’t quite think of ten names this time, but I think the eight I have thought of are corkers! For now that’s all folks. Please feel free to share a link in the comments below for your TTT post, so we can come check it out, and I hope to see you again soon for some more lists and bookish chat! 👋📚😃
Now I’d love to hear from you: Do you like my choices? What characters would you name a pet after?