Hello my fellow bookworms, for us in the northern hemisphere, summer is on the way out, although I think it may have left about a week ago here in the UK! I am now looking forward to the cosy autumnal pleasures of golden leaves, darker nights, hot chocolate, woolly tights, boots, scarves, warming soups and taking part in the annual R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril reading event (first started sixteen years ago by Carl V. Anderson). 🍂
The event runs from September through October, and encourages us to read (and watch) the suitably atmospheric genres of mystery, suspense, thriller, dark fantasy, gothic, horror and supernatural, on the lead up to Halloween! 🎃
Again this year, there are no levels or sign up posts, instead you can tag your posts with #ripxvi and go follow the event @perilreaders on Instagram and Twitter. I don’t have either of these, however we’re not going to let that rain on our parade! I will be sharing all my suitably mysterious and spooky reads here on my blog as usual.
With a quick glance over my bookshelves and in my Kindle’s to-be-read folder here are some of the books I could choose from:
- The Game by Laurie R. King – Mystery
- The Demon Seed by Dean Koontz – Supernatural Thriller
- The Curse Keepers by Denise Grover Swank – Paranormal Fantasy
- The Island of Doctor Moreau by H G Wells – Classic Horror
- Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam by M.C. Beaton – Mystery
- The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman – Mystery
- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins – Gothic Mystery
- The Land God Gave to Cain by Hammond Innes – Vintage Thriller
It is highly unlikely I would ever read all these books and I am not restricting myself exclusively to just these either, however I do love making a list of ‘possibles’! Happy, spooky reading everyone! 👻
Now over to you: Are you taking part in R.I.P this year? What are you hoping to read? Out of my ‘possibles’ what do you think I should read first?