Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. If you love books and making lists, this is the meme for you! This week’s topic is:
(favourite, best, worst, lovable, creepiest, most evil, etc.)
Ooo you could go so many ways with this topic, but I have chosen to share with you my top ten greatest villains of all time:
- Count Dracula – Bram Stoker’s legendary antagonist has come to be universally recognised as the archetypal vampire. He is both cruel, heartless and vicious, and suave and refined: a deadly combination.
- Smaug – This vain, cunning and cruel dragon is the main antagonist in Tolkien’s The Hobbit, who destroyed the entire dwarf kingdom of Erebor to seize its treasure! And whatever you do, don’t play riddles with him!
- Frankenstein’s Monster – After being created and abandoned, the tragic villain of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein relentlessly chases down his creator, bringing vengeance down upon him and his innocent loved ones.
- Sauron – The main antagonist in Tolkien’s epic The Lord of the Rings, a powerful, malicious spirit, that clings onto life as a great lidless eye, that never sleeps. Who mercilessly wishes to dominate all life.
- Professor Moriarty – Is the archenemy of Sherlock Holmes in Arthur Conan Doyle’s mystery series. Famously dubbed the ‘Napoleon of Crime’ and considered one of the first super villains in fiction.
- Lord Voldemort – The main antagonist in J. K. Rowling’s magical Harry Potter series. A powerful Dark Wizard who murders anyone who doesn’t fit his supremacist views or gets in his way, including Harry’s parents.
- Milady de Winter – Is a beautiful but remorseless spy in Alexandre Dumas’ The Three Musketeers. She seduces and uses men to gain power, wealth, information and to do her dirty work.
- The White Witch – The tyrannical, self-proclaimed Queen of Narnia in C. S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Who cursed the land to a perpetual winter – always winter, never Christmas!
- Randall Flagg – Known as ‘The Man in Black’ when I met him in Stephen King’s The Tower Dark series. Where he hunted by Roland, the last gunslinger, after he killed all of Roland’s men and destroyed his family.
- Victor Frankenstein – Earlier I had Frankenstein’s monster, but it could be argued that as Victor created and them heartlessly abandoned him that he too is a villain. In fact, Shelley has us asking who is the real monster?
Do you agree with my choices? Who do you think are the greatest villains? Also, please share your link in the comments below if you have taken part in this week’s TTT topic too.